Biology with X-ray Free Electron Lasers (BioXFEL) is a Science and Technology Center established by the National Science Foundation in 2013. Composed of eight U.S. research universities and aimed at addressing the fundamental questions in biology at the molecular level. Using a pulsed hard X-ray laser, our researchers can capture biological molecules in atomic detail, view their functional motions by taking brief snapshots, and observe interactions in their native environment. This opens up a new world to biology, to science, and to human health.
X-ray lasers provide snapshots of unprecedented clarity depicting the building blocks of life. The motions and arrangements of these blocks underlie all biological function.
The BioXFEL Center benefits from the research performed at several major universities and laboratories. Here you'll find the descriptions of the laboratories affiliated with the Center.
Our expert team of external advisors routinely assesses the progress BioXFEL is making towards our mission and goals and advises the BioXFEL leadership with suggestions for ensuring our success. Meet our advisors below.
Positions posted based on availability.
University at Buffalo
Department of Materials Design and Innovation (MDI)
|Position Title||Lab Administrator|
|Classification Title||Instructional Support Technician|
The Department of Materials Design and Innovation (MDI) within the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) and College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is seeking highly motivated candidates for a full-time Lab Administrator position. The work will require the individuals to utilize their skills and knowledge in vacuum, electronics, and computer control in manage and support of lab safety, operation, and training. The ideal candidate will have familiarity with advanced synthesis and characterization tools including thin film deposition facilities, scanning probe microscopy and atom probe microscopy. The candidate is expected to work with the faculty members in the department and assist in lab classes. MDI is an interdisciplinary department that aims to transform the training and education of materials scientists and engineers. Our research portfolio is highly interdisciplinary and pushes the boundaries of traditional classifications in materials science research to establish a new paradigm for materials design and innovation.
- Relevant Bachelor’s degree and two (2) years relevant experience
- Demonstrated understanding of instrumentation and data collection
- Demonstrated hands on experience in vacuum systems and electronics
- Demonstrated experience with computer control and data acquisition of characterization equipment
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and managing lab safety and operation
- Demonstrated experience in conducting and supervising operation of experiments
- Demonstrated ability in working independently as well as within a team environment
- Relevant Master’s degree or higher and five (5) years related experience
- Good knowledge in placing orders for new equipment and lab supplies such as chemicals and gases
- Experience in developing and implementing plans to improve the lab setup and operation
- Knowledge in monitoring and maintaining inventory of equipment and chemicals
- Experience in interaction with undergraduate and graduate students
- Experience in preparing technical reports
Is a background check required for this posting?
|Contact's Title||Director of Administration|
|Deadline for Internal Applicants||08/14/2018|
|Deadline for External Applicants||08/29/2018|
|Date to be filled||10/01/2018|