BioXFEL Undergraduate Internships
BioXFEL is a National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center (STC) that focuses on promoting and advancing the study of Biological molecules using X-ray Free Electron Lasers (XFELs). A summer internship is the best way to get started in this new and exciting field. BioXFEL offers Summer Research Internships to highly qualified undergraduate and post-graduate students with backgrounds in physics, chemistry, biochemistry, mathematics, computer science and all related fields. All applicants should be interested in pursuing a career in research and MUST be US citizens or US Nationals. Women and minorities underrepresented in STEM fields are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a highly competitive program where students will be given hands-on training in XFEL-related laboratory techniques. The internship also includes a scientific communications workshop, educational seminars and social activities. At the end of the 10-week program, students present their research results to the group. Internships run from the last week of May through the first week of August. Interns that require on-site housing will check into their dorms on Memorial Day, May 31st and check out on Saturday, August 7th.
We are now accepting applications for the Summer of 2021 BioXFEL Internship Program. It is unclear at this time whether we will be able to hold our internship in person. In the event that we are unable to have our interns on site, we are prepared to offer a virtual internship with remote participants as we did for summer 2020. Please be sure to submit all materials listed below.
Our Internship Locations
University at Buffalo
Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
Arizona State University
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (SSRL/LCLS)*
To Apply for Summer 2021 (June 1st - August 6th)*
- Click HERE and complete the online application.
- Send us your up-to-date CV or Resumé
- Send us your unofficial transcripts.
- Arrange to have two letters of recommendation sent to us by your references.
Unofficial Transcripts and CV or Resume can be emailed to
Recommendation letter writers should be see our guidelines found here.
The deadline for submission is Friday, February 12th, 2021. All materials must be received by the deadline in order for your application to be considered. If you are unsure of your reference letters or submission status, please email for confirmation of receipt.
Our Program Offers:
- A $5000 stipend and will cover housing and travel expenses for those in need.
- An authentic full-time research experience with hands-on laboratory training.
- Regular workshops on scientific presentation skills throughout the summer.
- Seminars on current XFEL-related research and introductory courses on XFELs and Structural Biology.
- Professional Development activities, career mentoring, and social events.
- The chance to network with pioneering researchers in XFEL science.
You'll have the chance to work with top researchers on projects that include: protein crystallography, biochemistry, computational analysis, algorithm development, and microfluidics.
* Internship dates for our SLAC site will vary from the rest of the program. Interns placed at SLAC can expect to start on mid June and stay through most of August. A shorter duration can be negotiated if your classes resume before then.