BioXFEL Undergraduate Internships
BioXFEL is a National Science Foundation Science and Technology Center (STC) that focuses on promoting and advancing the study of Biological molecules using X-ray Free Electron Lasers (XFELs). A summer internship is the best way to get started in this new and exciting field. BioXFEL offers Summer Research Internships to highly qualified undergraduate and post-graduate students with backgrounds in physics, chemistry, biochemistry, mathematics, computer science and all related fields. All applicants should be interested in pursuing a career in research and MUST be US citizens or US Nationals. Women and minorities underrepresented in STEM fields are strongly encouraged to apply.
This is a highly competitive program where students will be given hands-on training in XFEL-related laboratory techniques. The internship also includes a scientific communications workshop, educational seminars and social activities. At the end of the 10-week program, students present their research results to the group. Internships run from the last week of May through the first week of August. Interns that require on-site housing will check into their dorms on May 29th and check out on Saturday, August 3rd.
We are now accepting applications for the Summer of 2024 BioXFEL Internship Program.
Please be sure to submit all materials listed below.
Our Internship Locations
University at Buffalo
Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
Arizona State University
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
University of California Merced
To Apply for Summer 2024 (May 29 - August 4):
- Click HERE and complete the online application.
- Arrange to have two letters of recommendation sent to us by your references by sending them the link to this form. Recommendation letter writers should be see our guidelines found here.
The deadline for submission is Friday, February 15th, 2024. All materials must be received by the deadline in order for your application to be considered. If you are unsure of your reference letters or submission status, please
for confirmation of receipt.
Our Program Offers:
- A $5000 stipend and will cover housing and travel expenses for those in need.
- An authentic full-time research experience with hands-on laboratory training.
- Regular workshops on scientific presentation skills throughout the summer.
- Seminars on current XFEL-related research and introductory courses on XFELs and Structural Biology.
- Professional Development activities, career mentoring, and social events.
- The chance to network with pioneering researchers in the XFEL sciences.
You'll have the chance to work with top researchers on projects that include: protein crystallography, biochemistry, computational analysis, algorithm development, and microfluidics.