The European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility (European XFEL, http://www.xfel.eu) encourages the scientific community worldwide to submit proposals for Early User Experiments via the User Portal to the European XFEL (UPEX) until Monday 17 December 2018 14:00 (local Hamburg / Schenefeld time - UTC +1)
Beamtime will be allocated to successful proposals from July 2019 to November 2019. The allocated beamtime will be provided in 12-hour shifts.
The following scientific instruments will be made available during this period:
- Femtosecond X-Ray Experiments (FXE) at Beamline SASE1 (in early operation since September 2017)
- Single Particles, Clusters, and Biomolecules and Serial Femtosecond Crystallography (SPB/SFX)at Beamline SASE1 (in early operation since September 2017)
- High Energy Density Matter (HED) at Beamline SASE2 (in early user operation from May 2019). Community proposals are encouraged for "advanced commissioning and demonstration of techniques" at this instrument.
- Materials Imaging and Dynamics (MID) at Beamline SASE2 (in early user operation from May 2019)
- Spectroscopy and Coherent Scattering (SCS) at Beamline SASE3 (entering early operation at the end of 2018)
- Small Quantum Systems (SQS) at beamline SASE3 (entering early operation at the end of 2018)
Instrument overview: https://www.xfel.eu/facility/instruments
All proposals submitted in this call will be reviewed for their scientific quality by panels of international experts and, in addition, checked for safety and feasibility conditions. Proposals shall consider the specific conditions for Early User Experiments expected for this allocation period.